Money Transfer and Business Scams: Scammers Using Religious, God, Jesus to Con You
Scammers know no bounds when it comes to scamming people out of their money. And yes, they will use your faith to scam you. Just because someone says they are pious does not mean they are!
Below are links to sample actual emails of this type of scam, along with how to recognize the scam and report them. These are of a type called "The Advance Fee Fraud (AFF)" email is also known as "419" after the section of the Nigerian penal law that deals with this type of fraud. It takes many forms, we have categorized the scams below as "Orphans and Widows of wealthy diplomats, generals, presidents, etc."
How to Recognize a Religious Business Scam
Let's look at some actual emails people received and see how we can spot that they are scams. In general, notice the awesome amount of misspellings, poor grammar and run-on sentences. Even if they weren't scams, would you go into business with someone who writes like that?
- Mrs.Hiromi Suka, "Dear Beloved One !!!", "It is my last wish to see this money distributed to charity organizations anywhere in the World in helping human race. Because relatives and friends have plundered so much of my wealth since my illness, I cannot live with the agony of entrusting this huge responsibility to any of them. Please, I beg you in the name of God to help me Stand-in as the beneficiary and collect the Funds from the Bank.
- Rev Williams, email@example.com
- Mrs Elinor George Jacobs, "I will compensate you with 10% of this money if you will assist me because I am now too weak and fragile to do things myself because of my cancer."
- Mrs.Cristy Krossa, i shall give you the relevant documents that will legalize you to have access over this fund.
- Mrs Mabel Shinider, I want a person that is God fearing that will use this money to fund churches,Help For Local Hurricane Victims and the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is maintained.
- Mrs.Annen Joubert, "Glory to God in heaven. My name is Mrs.Annen Joubert from South Africa. I am married to Mr. Abraham Benjamin Joubert, who is a farmer here in South Africa for many years before he died in 2004. We were married for eleven years without a child.", "utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in. I want a church or God fearing individual that will use this fund on, orphanages and widows propagating the word of God and give help to mankind. The Bible made usto understand that blessed is the hand that griveth."
- Mrs Rita Michelle - Dearest In The LORD,I am the Sister rita michelle from Kuwait. I am married to Mr. Richard michelle who worked with Kuwait embassy in Ivory Coast for nine years before he died in the year 2003.We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we were both born again Christian.
- Magret Winters, "I want you to claim this funds from the bank... and use it to bless other less fortunate christian believer and in assisting the less privilegde children..."
- Mrs. Faith Isaiah, "Beloved one in Christ Jesus
- Mrs. Evans Favour Oko, "Beloved in Christ" and with Breast Cancer - Religious scam
- Mother Tracy Williams
- Melanie Megan - "I feel it will be legally proper to donate this fund to you to utilize in propagating the word of God and in building orphanage homes for less privileged people."
- Suzzy Williams - DEAR BELOVED ONE, GREETINGS IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST
- Greetings in the Name of Our Lord Jesus
- May Almighty God Bless You
- Mary Parker - "It is by the grace of God that I received Christ, having known the truth; I had no choice than to do what is lawful and just in the sight of God for eternal life and in the sight of man for witness of God & His Mercies and glory upon my life", Needs help to keep her fortune "from being confiscated"
- Mrs Rita Roberson , "Sisters in Christ" and with Cancer Wants YOU to give her money to a charity! - another religious scam
- Mrs.Sheila Johnson, "It is by the grace of God that I received Christ, having known the truth, I had no choice than to do what is lawful and right in the sight of God for eternal life and..."
- Mrs Julene Ellefson, Dying of Cancer, Wants to Will Her Millions to You,
So you can "use the funds well and always extend the good work to
- Mary Pepe, CHIESA CATTOLICA
And please let us know about any suspicious calls or emails you receive. We look for patterns so that we can alert the authorities and victims to new scams, before it is too late!