Business Scams: Lawyers and Barristers with Dead Clients Bank Accounts (they could give lawyers a bad name)
There appear to be more dead diplomats and living barristers in Africa with millions of dollars, gold and diamonds stuck in secret bank accounts and boxes than... well, starving Africans. And there is no shortage of them.
Below are links to sample actual emails of this type of scam, along with how to recognize the scam and report them. These are of a type called "The Advance Fee Fraud (AFF)" email is also known as '419' after the section of the Nigerian penal law that deals with this type of fraud. It takes many forms, we have categorized the scams below as "Orphans and Widows of wealthy diplomats, generals, presidents, etc."
How to Recognize a Barrister with a Scam
Let's look at some actual emails people received and see how we can spot that they are scams. In general, notice the awesome amount of misspellings, poor grammar and run-on sentences. Even if they weren't scams, would you go into business with someone who writes like that?
- Jonathan Smiles, from London, UK, Contacting you about a deceased relative,
- RICHARD MORGAN (ESQ.) , 1ST CITY ROYAL CHAMBERS
- Ashok Sancheti, "With a wealthy dead client named, Mr Norbert van der Velden"
- Barrister Barry Smith.(Esq.), "With a wealthy dead client named, Ronald Lake and Joyce Lake
- Barr. Harry Bray, With a wealthy dead client Mr. Charles Russell, and he wants you to pretend to be his relative"
- Barrister Esq. Enrique Boyd - "With a wealthy dead client named, Eng. Chung Timothy"
- Barrister Smith John, an attorney or banker for a dead wealthy man, Engr Han
- Barrister. Williams Moore - Late Engr David Rollins
- Barrister Morris Douglas - "With a wealthy dead client, a foreigner who worked with Mekon Associates Company in London"
- Swee Lopez "With your last name, who put YOU in his WILL"
- BARRISTER SANDY CARRINGTON LAW FIRM:, "Wealthy dead client's name: Maurice Wohl"
- Barrister Usman Bello - An attorney to the President of Nigeria who wants to send you an ATM card - just contact "Dr. Daniel Smith"
- David Smith - "With a wealthy dead client named, Engr.J'rge Kr'gger, who put YOU in his WILL"
- Barrister Williams Moore - "With a wealthy dead client named, Engr David Rollins"
- Morrise Akika, Barrister - Mr. Douglas Holbrook in BENIN REPUBLIC and the LATE PRESIDENT OF TOGO
- Ahmad Zaki Ismail - With a wealthy dead client with your surname (last name)
- Anthony. W. Blair - "With a wealthy dead client named, Mr. Bernard, who put YOU in his WILL"
- Brodies LLP Law Firm - Wealthy dead client's name: Engr.Miklos Sz't'ra
- Barrister Michael King Brown - dead client named: Mr. Mark
- Paul Chibu, claiming that he is an attorney for a dead wealthy man with no heirs
- Daniel Cole, of International Private Banking at HSBC Bank - A "lawyer" with verbal diarrhea
- Thomas Cole, Barrister, Nigeria
- BARRISTER BROWN DURU - "With a wealthy dead client named, Mr.HENRY [insert your last name here]
- Lim Choon Wee, an attorney for a dead wealthy man with your last name
- London Scottish Bank Plc., Mr. James Mackintosh
- Michael Edwards: Engr. Marvin Ballenger named you a beneficiary in his will
- Ramli Bin Emzul
- Dan Johnson, Barrister to Mr.Your name
- Richard Johnson, who claims to be a Nigerian lawyer, wants you to impersonate a dead wealthy client, so you can both steal his estate
- Richard Johnson scam, version 2
- Allen Ken, Barrister to the late Mr. Morris Thompson, "an American who unfortunately lost his life in the plane crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261"
- Barrister Benson Kofi, helping the Dako Family in Ghana get their Fathers $25M and Box of Diamonds after the Government Killed Him
- PATRICK LINZ & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM - "With a wealthy dead client named, Engr.David Peet,
- Christopher Marshall, Esq,
Sphere Energy Company
and follow-up emails from the scammer to a potential victim.
- Sammy Max - "Mr. Philip - who used to work with Zenith Oil and Gas Company in Nigeria
- Mr. Mark Mills at an unnamed "financial institution here in Ghana", telling you to contact "barrister George Amarkwei Esq."
- Karl Newe Esq. - With a wealthy dead client, "an independent oil Business magnate"
- "I am the Barrister Frank Onye, representing the late..."
- Attorney Chris Osaro Representing Mr. Daniel _____"
- Evans Tim, Barrister to Mr. Morris Thompson, "an American who unfortunately lost his life in the plane crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261"
- Peter Van Smith, Barrister, Netherlands: Urgently awaiting your reply!
- Dear Friend... Francis Williams.. Died in a Plane Crash
- Andy Okwuama Joseph (Esq) , Lagos, Nigeria, Nigeria Cement Company
- Barrister Anderson Williams Law Firm - Wealthy dead client's name: Engr.Mahmood Rollins
- George Williams Esq.: "You might find it so difficult to remember me. Though, it is indeed, a very long time. On my singular, I am much delighted and privileged to contact you again"